Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Showing Up

“Eighty percent of life is showing up.”  That is one of my mom’s favorite sayings.  I’m not sure how she calculated eighty and not seventy or eighty two and seven sixteenths or whatever, but eighty it was.  The remaining twenty percent also seemed to be a mystery.  At the time I assumed it was composed of cleaning my room, doing homework, and eating my vegetables.  Irregardless, there is some truth and wisdom in the philosophy behind this quote.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

In Christ, we are a new creation with the purpose of performing good works for His glory.  Thank God that He didn’t give us this commission and then shove us off on our way.  Instead he graciously and sovereignly prepares the good works for us.  Our role is to show up, willing to work and sacrifice in obedience to His declared will.

May the Lord grant me the courage to show up, and the faith to trust Him for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment