Friday, June 24, 2011

Speaking for the Spirit


Luke 12:11-12

11 “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

I can’t say that I have ever personally experienced this phenomenon, though in all fairness I have never been drug before a magistrate, on trial for my life because of my faith.

The Bible provides several illustrations of the fulfillment of this promise.  I am reminded of Stephan’s eloquent, chapter-long sermon moments before his martyrdom.  Then there is Peter and John’s testimony before the Sanhedrin, and Paul’s defense before Felix.  In all these situations, the Holy Spirit gave special revelation to these men in their time of distress.

That being said, I am leery of those who claim that their words are directly given by the Holy Spirit.  This verse is often sited a proof of these claims.  In no way do I doubt the Holy Spirit’s power or authority to give believers direct words.  Yet I do not see this verse fulfilled in the daily walk of Christians.

It has been my experience that if you ask 10 believers what the Holy Spirit says to them about a particular situation, you will probably get 10 different answers.  I think that many Christians sincerely desire to be more spiritual and in-tune with God, however, they try and take the shortcut bypassing sanctification and wisdom.  I think that they tend to genuinely pray for guidance or for a word from God, and then assume whatever is in their mind is from God.

This is a dangerous assumption.  Our hearts are deceptively wicked.  Because we still carry around this sinful flesh, it is difficult for us to accurately evaluate our motives and emotions.

How many scriptures can you think of that command us to listen to that small voice inside, that feeling in our gut or to follow our emotions and impressions?  Conversely, how many scriptures command us to seek wisdom be sober-minded, and obey God’s word.

For me, I will learn what the Holy Spirit has said, because what He will say is going to be very similar.  And if I do find myself facing a scourging or death sentence because of my faith, then I will lean on this promise from Christ.

1 comment: